Construction gallery View all
"Guid Passage" since 1964
The Forth Road Bridge is one of the world’s most significant long span suspension bridges. With a main span of 1006 metres between the two towers, it was the fourth longest in the world and the longest outside the United States when it opened. In total, the structure is over 2.5 km long. A staggering 39,000 tonnes of steel and 125,000 cubic metres of concrete was used in its construction.
"Guid Passage" was the fitting motto given to the bridge when it opened on 4 September 1964.
Visit Opening of the Queensferry Crossing: what to expect for information on who should use which roads and bridges, and when!